Wednesday, July 28, 2010

I am a high school student who wants to become an architect. Any advice or project ideas for my portfolio? ?

I go to a small school that doesn't offer any shop or drafting classes. I do sketches and sometimes paint things but I'd like something a bit more... architectural.


Do you have an suggestions for projects that could challenge me or that require creative thinking? or ANY portfolio advice.





And if you had to submit a portfolio, or took an art class, what were some of your favorite projects?I am a high school student who wants to become an architect. Any advice or project ideas for my portfolio? ?
Don't worry about drafting or CAD, those are skills that you will be able to learn in college. Your portfolio should be more based on your creativity.





Most people don't realize that there is a huge art component to architecture school. If your portfolio is heavy on sketching and painting, that probably isn't a bad thing. If you haven't already, go out and start sketching buildings. If there aren't any interesting buildings where you live, go to the library and take out some good architectural books and sketch from the photos (no tracing!).





If you want to get some computer design in, go download SketchUp and try building models, start with your own house.





I didn't have to submit a portfolio from high school to get into architecture school. When I was in high school, I thought taking drafting classes would be important, which is what I did. However, if I were to do it all over again, I would have taken more art classes and less technical classes.





Creativity is something that needs to be cultivated while the technical things can be learned.





Good luck.I am a high school student who wants to become an architect. Any advice or project ideas for my portfolio? ?
try to take a computer aided drafting class at a local technical or vocational school at night and use some of your work for your portfolio

No comments:

Post a Comment