Wednesday, November 23, 2011

PARENTS- what advice did you give your child that is being BULLIED at school?

My daughter is 11. Some girls keep picking on her- as a parent, naturally I want to intervene. Since she is old enough to learn to stand on her own, I'd like to give her advice at home that she can use at school.PARENTS- what advice did you give your child that is being BULLIED at school?
Well, I was bullied by other girls. My mom was the guidance counselor at my school, so yeah I didn't want to do that. Encourage her to speak to a guidance counselor!! It needs to be reported. It can stay confidentcial, so that the bullies wont know who reported it.





Tell her first to ask them to stop. They might not know they're actually hurting someone. If it doesn't stop, then tell her to go to the guidance counselor. You should be happy your daughter tells you these things!!!! Most wouldn't!PARENTS- what advice did you give your child that is being BULLIED at school?
As a kid who was bullied in elementry school...dont let it go. What ever you do...DO NOT tell her to try to deal with it or solve the problem herself. As bad as it might be, you need to go to the school if its getting to bad to the point where she does not want to go to school. Talk to her teacher...her real friends will stick by her though it.








* if it is just teasing, it will escalade to other things...if you dont want to go to the school about it...teach her some comebacks and ways to stand up for herself...if i would have had help back in the 3rd grade i would have been so thankfull...as a junior in highschool its much better.





hope i helped
my dad said to just dis them back. my mom said to tell the principal. i did what my dad said. did not work. so my mom took her own advice.





please answer!! http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;鈥?/a>
Hey Jules... : )


I'd say, learn a martial art, for the RIGHT reason: self defense.





What I did, was I enlisted my beautiful boy into the study of Tae Kwon Do. I emphasized and stressed to him it is CRUCIAL that this martial art exists to enable one to Defend oneself. Never to be the agressor. He is doing great. By the time he turns 10-11, I doubt he'll be bullied that much. I doubt he will be starting any trouble, too.
Teach her to stand up for herself, self defense classes are wonderful. My son was picked on and refused to fight because he said he would get in trouble. I didn't really want him to fight but I wanted it stopped. The teachers and administration did nothing with the bully, therefore, I enrolled them in Karate. Well the child continued to pick on my son, until he defended himself. My son's life is so different today. He never gets picked on, and if he did he can defend himself. Kids that bully rarely stop because you talk things out. It worked for me also when I was in 6th grade.
Bullies want her to react. What are they teasing her about? Say they said she's short, when she should say Glad you noticed. She should also say something back to them, something they wouldn't like being said to them.
My mom told me to tell a teacher.





My dad told me to warn the bullies and if they persisted to thump them and make an exaqmple, take the one hour of det. and show everyone what i can do.





My bro told me to kick the **** out of them.





DONT GET INVOLVED! THE RIDICULE CONTINUES WHEN PARENTS GET INVOLVED!


If you do get involved she will be called ';mumas girl'; and ';big baby!';
I tell my son, ( pretty much the smallest kid in his class) that he needs to not back down. Even if that child is threatening him physically. He needs to stand there, look him straight in the eye. Even if he is scared out of his mind. Cause here is the thing; In the states, unless that bully actually does physical harm there isn't much the school/teachers/parents can do. Sure they talk to the kids but not much is done.





I don't tell him to say hateful things back to the bully, or give him permission to be physical back if it did escalate to that level. But I did tell him that all this bully was looking for was for him to be scared. And if he knew he was scared ( which he was) he would never stop and my son would be miserable.





If he stood there looked him in the eye and basically did nothing, he challenged him, not by physical violence but by telling him ';NO'; if he told him to give him his lunch money, or if he told him to tie his shoes. And if he ( the bully ) actually physically touched him to immediatly get an adult.





In the end this kid did physically hurt my son. And though was hurt ( required three stitches) he learned that this kid was a baby himself. He did it to make himself feel better. As barbaric as it sounds, and the stitches made me cry more than they made him cry, this bully never bothered my son again.





Long story I know but I will tell my daughter the same. DO NOT BACK DOWN. STAND UP.....





PS With girls: honestly, do nothing, tell her to rely on the girlfriends that are NOT picking on her, do not say one word to the girls who are that will keep them going. Tell her to act as if they do not exist, Girls don't hang onto this stuff long, they will move on if they see that she isn't phased. They'll move on to another unsuspecting girl. Sad but very true. Women/girls, NEED attention and if they aren't getting it they'll go to where they will.
if it isn't too bad, just tell her to either learn to laugh at herself or make up comebacks to different insults. if it is really bad, consider switching school...
i know u probs dont wan to hear this, but i think u should tell the school if it is really upsetting her or if it is really bad. for example if she was being called a lesbian like i was then the skool need to know, but if it is something petty then tell not to get the skool involved because there was one girl who told the skool that me and my best friend was bullying her even though we wer enot, we just didnt see her as a friedn so didnt invite to meet us on the weekend ( that was it) then it did annoy me andi would have rather that she just ask if we could meet up.
I told my son to avoid a confrontation with them, but to remember to think not react.


My son just avoided the kids, and when they sought him out I told him to defend himself but with words- like throwing the situation back in their face or talking the other kids down.


I told him if they became physical, which most of the time kids do eventually, to step away get an adult or if there isnt one to stand his ground without lowering himself to their standards. Most of the time my son uses his sense of humor to avoid a conflict, and makes light of their anger. It works for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment