Wednesday, November 23, 2011

I am a 24 yr old female headed to Air Force OTS, what can I expect and any advice to help me prepare?

I am really nervous because this means a lot to me and I want to do my best. I would really value a female's perspective on what it is like and any tips and advice to help me survive.I am a 24 yr old female headed to Air Force OTS, what can I expect and any advice to help me prepare?
I gave the OTS Finance briefing for over 2 years.





The first 6 weeks will suck while you are the underclassmen. But those 6 weeks will pass and then you will be the upper classmen to push around the newbies.





In terms of preparation, depending on the make-up of your class, about a 1/3 will be prior enlisted or from the AFRES or NGB. These are the people you need to get with, make friends, and learn how to play the game correctly and ';survive';.





PT-wise - report in shape and able to not only pass, but exceed the push-ups/crunches/1.5 mile run standards for your age and gender group. This will make the physical burden a lot more bearable.





Expect to get yelled at and stressed out. At most times, you're going to get more than you can handle physically, mentally, and academically. Just remember to keep your military bearing and professionalism in check, pick up things quickly, and you'll be fine.I am a 24 yr old female headed to Air Force OTS, what can I expect and any advice to help me prepare?
Survive? Your are being melodramatic. It is the crusty old sergeants at your first duty station you need worry about. Don't think I am just talking about the males either.


Being enlisted scum I cannot advise you on OTS but I did want to take the opportunity to pass some advise. After OTS find 2 mentors to assist and advise. They will tell you to find a senior officer what they won't tell you is to seek out the crusty old sergeant who will be equally valuable and helpful in a different manner.


Good luck, I really think you will survive.
I hope you're good at volleyball.





Air Force OTS is like girl scout camp. Your field exercise is in a tent by day, then back in the barracks (dorms) at night. The rest of the time you're in class, watching TV, or playing on one of the 20 volleyball courts (I'm not exaggerating!)





You already did the hard part - getting accepted! Congrats future Zoomie 2LT!
Here is their website, not sure if you have looked at it yet. What I know from Army OCS, is that even though it is much more relaxed pt wise from basic, it is much more demanding leadership wise. You are competing with other soon to be officers to be the best. You don't want to stand out at basic, but you definitely do at OTS. Best of luck!
I'm leaving for Air Force basic training (Female 22) and I plan on going to OTS if you don't mind me asking you something. How hard was it and how long did it take to get into OTS?

No comments:

Post a Comment